Foreigners Section
General Information

himpaint.jpg (3383 bytes)

Accomodation Monasteries
Tourist Map Adventure Tourism
Tourist Places in Lahaul Trekking
Tourist Places in Spiti Fairs/ Festivals



Guidelines For Foreigners:

All Foreign tourists visiting the State should seek help of authorised travel agencies only.
Foreigners wishing to stay overnight must stay only at authorised guest houses / hotels. They are required by Law to fillup form-C and it is the duty of the host to such foreigners to supply this information within 24 hours to the concerned Police Station.
In case you are interested in trekking please move in groups of atleast 5 persons and inform the nearest Police Station of your proposed trekking route. Engage only registered porters/guides while undertaking treks. It is advisable to go for trekking on routes identified for this purpose by the HP Tourism Department and halt at the designated camping places only.
Please exchange foreign currency only at authorised places.
It is safer to carry travellers cheques and limited amount of cash while touring.
All tourist are advised to stay away from drugs and drug dealers and refrain from indulging in any illegal activity.
Foreigners who wish to overstay, should contact the nearest Foreigners' Regional Registration Office or the Sadar Police Station in the towns.
Some areas in Himachal Pradesh have been designated as protected areas and are not open to foreigners without permits.

gotop.gif (1014 bytes)

Protected Areas:
Protected areas has been defined in the section 2 of the Foreigners Protected Area Order 1958 which is as under:-

A. Protected area means any border areas falling beyond the inner line as described in schedule-I

No foreigner shall enter into or remain in any protected areas except under and in accordance with the permit issued by the Central Govt. or any official authorised by the Central Govt. in this behalf.

Following areas in Himachal Pradesh require protected areas permits Khab, Samdo, Dhankar, Tabo, Gompa, Kaza, Morang and Dubling (Lahaul & Spiti).

At present the foreign tourists/foreigners are being permitted to visit the restricted/protected areas by the authorities specified under section 3 of the Foreigners ( Protected Areas) Order 1958 by the State Govt.

Diplomatic & Officials Passport holders who wish to visit, stay or pass through the above mentioned areas and required to obtain necessary protected areas permits from Ministry of External Affairs. Application (in triplicate) should be submitted to the Northern Division, MDA, South Block, Room No. 235, New Delhi giving a minimum of 8 (eight) weeks notice to process the relevant case. However, application does not imply automatic issue of permits.

Such permits for the foreigners who want to visit such places in connection with their engagement with some U.N. Aided or World Bank Project are required to submit their applications to the Resident Commissioner, Himachal Govt., Himachal Bhavan, Sikandra Road, New Delhi. This Officer issues such permits to foreigners required to visit such places in connection with the World Bank or U.N. Aided projects and the Projects sponsored by the Govt. of India or any State Govt. or U.T. Administration. In such cases Resident Commissioner would insist upon a letter of requisition from the sponsoring authority i.e. World Bank or U.N. Agency or a concerned Union Ministry or State Govt. or U.T. Administration under whose aegis the project is being implemented.

Foreigners intending to visit protected areas which are now open for tourism, as tourists in group consisting of four or more foreigners, sponsored by the recognised travel agencies in India with predrawn itinerary can gets protected area permits from the State Govt. The H.P. State Govt. has further delegated these powers to District Magistrates in their Jurisdictions.

In this regard following District Magistrates and Sub-Divisional Magistrates are authorised to issue Protected Area Permits' in their respective Territorial limits.

District Magistrate, Lahaul & Spiti at Keylong, Tel 01900-222501, Fax 01900-222502. Email:
Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Spiti at Kaza Tel: 01906-222302
Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Lahaul at Keylong, Tel: 01900-222225

gotop.gif (1014 bytes)

Downloadable Application Forms

(in PDF format require Acrobat Reader)

Foreigner Registration Cell:

Form ‘A’ under the Registration of foreigners Rule, 1939, which is to be filled in triplicate (The conditions for stay are given on Page 2 of Part-III of the form. The form is to be filled in Triplicate, first copy Part-III, second copy is Part-II and the third copy is Registration Report/Part-I)

---Form of application for foreigners/ alien desiring to extend their stay in India.

   (This form is to be filled in Triplicate)

--- Form of application for the grant of No Objection to Foreigners Return to India

   (This form to be filled in Duplicate)


For More Information Also Visit

gotop.gif (1014 bytes)